Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dealer do my first scheduled maintenance and I know they adjusted the valves at that time.

I just changed my oil, cleaned the oil filter and did all the other inspections needed for the second scheduled maintenance.

Is it really necessary to adjust the valves again at this time? I'm not a mechanic and will take it back to the dealer if it really needs done but don't want to spend the money if I don't need to.

John

·
Registered
84 Posts
The manual says every 100 hours or 600 miles, whichever comes first. It is not hard to do if you are mechanically inclined. Take the money you would spend at the dealer and buy a Honda service manual. Everything you need to know is in there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not the most mechanical fella around I just like to ride but one thing keeps puzzling me and that is the concern everyone here seems to have in having your atv's valve's adjusted after only a couple to a few hundred miles on the machine....I've always been one to believe that if it isn't broken why fix it....I have a 2000---300 TRX 4x4 and the bike has never seen a wrench and I never had anyone give her a tune up so I'm wondering now that my 2004 Rincon has 1000 miles on it and it sounds and runs really nice why I should change or feel any different with it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with ya Liar and so does my dealer. He recommends adjusting the valves after the first 100 miles and then every 1200 - 1400 miles unless the bike starts acting up or not running right. I have him adjust the valves too (he charged me $50.00) - just had it done at 1500 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
280 Posts
valves do not need adjusted unless they are ticking. they can be checked regularly (which BTW is what the dealers service dept. actually does since they
almost never actually need adjusted) but anyone can check them. I take all my new quads in for first service, and they never see them again. not one of my quads has ever needed an adjustmnent after the first time, and I check them once a year in the fall during winter prep. None have ever moved(7 quads over 18 years).

"valve adjustment" is a scam to get more $$ out of gullible owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
quote ["valve adjustment" is a scam to get more $$ out of gullible owners. ]

Hi all. Just joined this forum today because lately I have been thinking about getting a 4WD quad and wanted to check this site out.
Manufacturers must set rec'm valve lash inspection intervals for the worst case senario. If the motor is riden really hard then the valves must be checked and inspected more often than if motor is riden easy. Also adjustment is often req'd more frequently during and immediatly after break-in. So the safe thing to do is to strictly follow mfg. guidelines for the first few inspections and based on how the clearance is holding you can then extend interval but you cannot safely ignore all inspections. The Rincon has a 4-valve engine with screw lock nut adjusters. Clearances can tighten up over time and can also occasionally loosen. If your's tighten then you will burn the valves and you will have hard starting. If they loosen performance will fall off. Be safe and smart and learn to adjust the valves yourself. My 14 year old grandson adjusts his own valves on XR200 bike and his Dad's Gator farm ute. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
280 Posts
quote[Clearances can tighten up over time and can also occasionally loosen.]

Sure they can, but they almost never do. I have broken in 7 new quads and 6 new MC over the last 35 years, and not one has ever moved in either direction from the factory setting. Even after 4-5 years. So I still say it's a scam. Buy all means check them to be sure, but if you want to waste your $$ letting a dealer "adjust" them, be my guest. They cannot void your warranty if you don't.
I totally agree on learning to do it yourself. Simple as cutting pie. LOL

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think half the time the dealers don't do a thing except let them sit in their shops for a couple days and than call you and tell you "IT's DONE". Than they hand you the bill. Mine is ticking pretty good right now but it's also running better than ever, so I ain't touchin it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have always adjusted my own valves and never really found them to be far out of adjustment until the Rincon. At aprox 110 miles, mine were extremely loose. Both the intake and exhaust were about .004" loose. Never saw any machine like that before. Had to be set wrong from the factory.

My advise, spend the money on a service manual and do them yourself. Will save you money over time + you'll have access to a lot of valuable information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just joined Rincon Riders.I wanted to know more on how to adjust the valves on my "05 Rincon.Most everything I've read so far has been helpful.I had a motorsports dealer(not my sales dealer)do mine at about 1000 miles because it had a distinctive tick.He said it should'nt have to be done again.I now have 2500 miles on it and it seems to be noisy again.I agree with some members that if its not broke,don't fix it,and I certainly don't agree with the prices dealers charge to do this.I think I can do this myself but lack confidence.I am sure about disassembly, have a good idea about TDC.and I have the tools needed. I'm just unsure where I need to place the feeler gauge to make sure it's properly adjusted.Thanx to all who help and enjoy those Rincons. They're GRRRRRREAT!!! Wizard

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Personally I'm willing to spend the time to inspect the valves on schedule, or at least close to on schedule.

Usually they aren't out by much, if at all, but it doesn't take long to do.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Check wiki wizard. It's at the top of the page.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
I think following the maintenance schedule is very important. Not checking the valves is a mistake in my opinion. If you see no leaks are you not going to check the engine oil or differential fluid? Following the maintenance schedule is the best insurance you can have to keep your Rinny running well for a long time. Get a service manual and do the maintenance yourself. It is not hard and takes minimal tools. It is also part of the sport to me. A hour or so and a couple of beers can keep you from burning valves or having your Rinny running at top performance. Do the maintenance and keep your Rinny running at it's peak for years. Just my opinion of course.

·
Administrator
12,394 Posts
I have a pretty good write up with pics also.. You can look in the maintenance section here (I made the thread a sticky), or you can look in the wiki, its the same thread, or you can do both :)

Welcome to the site!!!

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
I did the valves on mine the other nite (3 hrs.), pissed away 30 min. finding tdc because my puller didn't want to catch, one intake needed a very slight tightening, rest were good so I left them alone...engine still way too noisy and I can't pin it down..must be the water pump from runnung dry for 90 min. thanks to the careless set-up idiots from Don & Roy's Honda..now my rear brakes squeal all the time on top of the engine noises..really disgusting.

I'll wind-up having to pay someone to set this bike up properly, go over the brakes and exhaust heat sheilds, take down the water pump assembly looking for the damn clanging source.

Anyone have a diagram of how that rubber apron below the tank goes back on properly? I was obviously not paying attention as I removed it.

Running close to 20-50 oil now, the tranny doesn't like it, seems to hold the gears to long at a easy pace.

·
Registered
524 Posts
20-50 is way to heavy of an oil even for the summer. i run 0w40 amsoil all year and runs great. i would either run 0w40 or 10w40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my thought on valve adjustments.some members have done theirs,
(and seemed to have done it correctly) and the ticking returned after only a short while.This happened to me.With all of the technology Honda uses and their reputation for durability,why can't they make it so you don't have to adjust the valves so often?Sure glad I don't have do the ones in my Tundra--double overhead cam 5.7 liter,every 600 miles? whew!!My '05 Rincon is ticking slightly again,but starts and runs awesome.I don't know if I should do it again or let it be for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
I have a bunch of miles on mine. I checked them at 100 miles then 1000 or so then 2500, then 5000, next I will check at 8000 or so. You should check early at 100 miles for tightening valve clearances. Contrary to others posts I have seen tight valves on hondas from valve seat recession and/or head bolts relaxing.

You guys need to get the "if it ain't ticking its fine" out of your head. A tight valve is silent and bad unless you want to do a top in job for shits and giggles. As for honda rec to do valves at 600 miles. Not this mechanic. I log mine each check and have only tweaked them twice. If they move a lot, you better find out why.

Loose valves will only cost you performance. Tight valves are BAD, and will usually cause backfiring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts