Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '07 Rincon. Won't start. Gets spark, so assuming fuel. I want to drain the fuel, and replace filter for starters.
Sooooooo. How do I drain the fuel (don't see a petcock) ? And where is the filter located... and how do I get to it ?

Thx folks

·
Administrator
12,362 Posts
Welcome!
The filter is located in the sump, with the fuel pump in the frame under the tank.
Just pull the line from the tank going into the sump and drain the tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K, so that's the easiest way. I do see the filter. 3 hoses and 1 electrical plug off the top of it. I suspect a clog, as I purchased this new in '07, and haven't changed fuel filter yet. Hoping it's not injector clogged, as I have no idea where that is. First step will be filter... and I hear there's a screen in bottom of tank also ?

Looks like there are just 2 nuts/bolts mounting the filter to remove once hoses are disconnected ? And also, will it be sufficient to replace those wire clips on the hoses with small aviator clamps ? I'm sure I am going to booger those up when removing them. Unless somebody has a slick way to get them off.

Thx Utec.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and... are there any cookbook/recipe forums on here that may show "How To" kinda stuff that I can refer to ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way. I DID break that damn sparkplug boot right at the 90 turn when removing to test spark. I've since learned from this site, it's a common issue. Have to get one of those too. Wish I would have read this site first prior to trying to horse it out with pliers.

·
Administrator
12,362 Posts
I don't remember all the particulars, I haven't done one in a while, but its pretty self explanatory it I remember correctly.
You can use any clamp you want, but those clips are pretty easy to work with
If I can make one suggestion for you, that's getting a service manual ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx again.

Service Manual may take a while to get. That said, is there a manual (PDF) that is online that can be accessed ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, if I'm thinking right, shouldn't I simply be able to remove one of the 2 hoses coming out of the Fuel Pump (not the feed from the gas tank of course, and not sure which of the 2 hoses), and be able to tell if the pump is feeding gas out and through the hose, when I turn the key on (fuel pump kicks on) ?

·
Administrator
12,362 Posts
Yes..
There used to be manuals on line floating around. Some sites sell sections as well
I don't have mine handy or id be able to guide you along better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn these Hondas are expensive. LOL $35 for one plug boot, and $14 for one NGK sparkplug.

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
You need to replace the fuel pump filter with the new design... cleaning it will haunt you at the worst time. The manual also shows how to remove the plug wire/boot....... That 49 could have bought you a manual... just sayin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, hindsight Oilcan.

Sooo, first I have to determine the pump (or filter internally) is clogged or faulty by testing. My pan is to find the feed hose, hit the key (pump activate), and see if it pumps fuel. I'm no mechanic, but can get by I think.

You say replace with new pump design. Are you talking about a new HONDA OEM pump ? or some other brand that is better ?

Also, it's a long shot, but it could be as simple as bad gas ? So I reckon the very first test should be to drain and replace the gas, then start the diagnosis if it's not gas itself ?

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
You may get flow, but when load happens, it may not be enough... I didn't say replace the pump! They redesigned the fuel filer (Honda) Your filter which is 13 years old, and the gas you use are most likely going to be your issue. You have to remove the tank to properly drain it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K, got it. FILTER redesign, not pump.

My understanding is that there is a screen also, in the bottom of the gas tank that can restrict flow, and should be cleaned ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so here is an update on the symptom.

I pulled the plastic off so I can easily remove the gas tank, and fuel pump. Once I had the plastic off, for giggles, I hit the start button just to see if it would start. IT DID. Soooo, I popped the seat on, and took it for a ride. A bout a mile. I shut it off twice on that ride, and it restarted. I pulled the wheeler into the garage after returning home, shut it off, and tried to restart it again. It DID NOT start this time.

Now I'm at a loss. I guess it can still be questionable fuel or pump/filter. BUT, can it also be possibly the starter is on the blink, and only engaging periodically ?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
On these things if the filter is obstructed apparently the pump can overheat and shut down intermittently.

Anyway I did a video some years back, if that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff, I actually searched Youtube, and played that video yesterday. I bookmarked it. LOL. Small world.

Ya, so I went ahead and ordered the "new design" filter from Honda yesterday. Hey, for $50, these are things I can do. It will get to a point though, where I'll have to throw up my hands, and declare further changes out of my hands. lol

Jeff, it appeared you had some issues fitting things back together, O-Rings, Clips, etc...... My patience is iffy. lol

·
Super Moderator
6,533 Posts
A tip for your "iffy patience" never force something to fit... On a Honda, the engineers made things to go together easily or with a tool. Even the connectors require just a little push on a tab, to release. Push to hard and it's stuck like glue... harder... it breaks...... O rings like to be lubed when they are installed too (no deformation/twisting).... a dab of Vaseline works great on O Rings. Good luck with your filter, it's not a tough job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will pay heed. LOL Thx Oilcan.

Finding and reading this forum a couple weeks ago, could have saved me $40'ish for a new NGK Plug Boot, after busting it in half. LOL. I didn't think that was a very good design, with that chincey screw.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts