Honda Rincon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yeah that’s why I think your test light idea would be the next step.

You did install a new fuel filter, iirc?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well. /i pretty much was down to either a bad fuel pump, or bad relay ? Well, the next diagnostic step for me, and last step before ordering a new pump, was to see if I had power to the pump. I confirmed that my light tester was functional, by applying it to areas with known power. Welllll, I tested the pump feed, NO light. I tested the feed that leads to the top of the gas tank also. NO light. I'm not sure if the two connections come from the same place, as I don't have a wiring diagram, and not sure I could follow one if I did ?

Anyhow, it seems the next logical step is to buy a relay to the pump ? I've seen them online, but have no idea where the hell it is on the bike to replace ? Can somebody tell me where to find it ? Thk You.

Oh, also. I tested the power to the connection that is on the Fuel Injector itself. There IS power to the fuel injector. None at the pump though.

ed the feed

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Things that could cut power to fuel pump-

Engine kill switch defective (or activated)
Bank angle sensor and related wiring
Engine stop circuit/relay
FI/IGN fuse blown
ST/ECM fuse blown
There is also a relay near the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
ERRRTTTT !!! I failed to realize, that the electrical feed to the pump, can only be tested in that short window from when the key is turned ON, for a couple seconds after. That said, there IS power to the pump.

I'm going to order that $27 pump off of Amazon, and roll the dice. Had some good reviews, and one not so good.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Before you order that I’d pull the pump out of the canister and make sure both connectors are secure.

Reactions: Oilcan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I hear ya Jeff. But I specifically remember reconnecting the 2 feeds to the pump. I even took a pic on my phone of it. lol

When I called Honda, to see if they sell just the pump instead of the entire unit (they don't), the guy in service told me that when you hit the key, you only have a couple seconds to test juice to the pump, as it cycles off. I didn't realize that, thus, my initial diagnosis of no power to the pump was incorrect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pump came in from Amazon yesterday. Pulled the can, dropped the pump in, BINGO !

FYI... I got the Caltrec pump that is compatible. It came in and is identical to Honda. It ALSO came with BOTH filters and clips. The old style bottom filter, and the side mod filter. FOR $27. Honda wants to sell the entire unit, canister and all, that of course is rarely ever needed.

Thanks to all that helped. Especially Jeff.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Awesome. Glad you got it running, and for cheap.

Reactions: Oilcan

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Sparkdog, you are one of a very few that actually returns with the old "I fixed it" and "Here is what I did" Thank You. And Thanks Jeff for your great assistance too! Kudos to both!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Sure Thanks.

Getting into these ATV's and even new model vehicles, makes me long for the days when things were simple, and a common man with just a hint of acumen, could navigate under a hood a bit.

Had a 1974 Ford 250 Highboy. You could open the hood, and actually sit on the fender with your feet hanging inside. Trace the very few wires that were leading to various engine components, etc... diagnose and fix with relative ease. THEN pollution control came along, with emission this, and SENSORS out the wazoo. Nowadays you can't even get your hand in spaces under a modern vehicle hood. I MISS THE OLD DAYS ! lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Oh, I do have one task left. That is trying to remember how I tore the body parts off. Fenders, gas tank cover, etc... And get all that back together. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Everything was just fine till you swore at me with that ferd word, but yes I understand, one could do the same in a full size blazer, even that dern ol Bronco was a great place to have a beer n wrench. :) For the cover install order, put your fenders on 1st, then the tank wrap, then the little cover by the seat front then the top black part. It just hooks into the wrap (tank side covers). Some of the bolts are shouldered, they usually go into the rack (corners at the back) and kind of "suspend" the fenders off it. Easy stuff now...I see a wheelie in your future!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yeah I’m sure you will get it back together fine. Just patience and taking a second to look at things.

BTW welcome to the forum. There are a lot of helpful folks here (Oilcan is one of them).

Reactions: Sparkdog

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
oh and, here's a "Not So Pro Tip" since I'm no pro. BUT, after screwing around trying to seat the pump holder, with the large O-Ring into the canister the first time, when I changed the filter mod, I was fumbling for 1/2 hour and it was just rocking and pinching the O-Ring. Soooooo, I decided to try a large wood clamp. I opened up the clamp to fit the housing in (don't put it on the stub on bottom, set it off a bit to the side. Put the top on the plastic housing, and gently turn (squeeze) the clamp just to hold the plastic housing in place. Then with both hand on either side, start slowly squeezing, working the O-Ring into the can evenly. Took 1 minute after I employed this approach.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yes I did, I would imagine that it would be 3X as difficult had I not. I used the same stuff that they recommend for my pool pump large O-Ring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Oh, I also got some emery cloth, and lightly sanded around the beveled top edge of the metal canister, to take off some of the roughness there. Between that and the lube, it was definitely the ticket.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yeah that silicone faucet lube works well in those situations. Mine took a delicate touch but went.

Reactions: Sparkdog
41 - 60 of 60 Posts