Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I ran into this a few years ago and learned a valuable leason. If you show up at a dealer shop with oversize wheels or tires, Honda will try to void your warranty coverage on a lot of covered repairs. Keep your old wheel and tire set, or something the same size as stock and put them on prior to your visit. Be prepared to lie about the tires if they ask you.The mental heavy weight that manages the shop at a southern Indiana dealership told me mine were bigger than stock when the stock size was stamped on the dam tires. They just looked bigger than the originals. After much teeth nashing they finally replaced the lower front ball joints, front wheel bearings, and the outboard tie rod ends which all got real sloppy after about 1200 miles in dry conditions. It was an old 450S.Only time I have ever used a Honda Warranty on 20 years worth of machines.The same parts on the Rinny are doing fine although the tie rod ends are a little sloppy, I swear I think they came fron the dealer that way.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
The dealer installed my 26" ITP's before taking delivery and never mentioned anything about warranty issues.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better give them a call, and get the answer in writing. They put oversize tires and wheels on ATVs at the same shop that wanted to deny me coverage. I told the guy in the shop that and he shrugged his shoulders.I had to get the general manager involved. I now deal with Station Park Honda in Louisville and the mangement is much better.Its only an issue with larger than 26 inchers at my new dealer.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Anyone who is going to give me a hard time about a few nickels and dimes (for replacing ball joints) after handing them over $11000 and change better look out !

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me on this one. If your dealer is cool with the big tires and sounds like he can fix an ATV you are well served to send him a present for Christmas. And tatoo his name and phone munber to a valuable body part. Most dealers around here would not get a chance to work on my lawnmower.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your dealer puts the tires on and makes the extra money. American Honda services the warranty. Dealers act like the warranty repairs come out of their own pockets.....can you see the writing on the wall. They told me Maxxis all tracs were too large and they had the stock size stamped on them. The idiot took a tape measure to show me that the Maxxis tires were wider than stock. Well no shit, every aftermarket is bigger.It taught me a leason quick, they do not like to see big mud tires.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
What extended warranty are you talking about?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer has an extended 3-4 yr warranty...about $400, covers everything including tranny...Haven't looked at the actual coverage (slae fellow just talked about it)...I was led to believe that it was a Honda warranty and not a dealer warranty...

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
For peace of mind I would pay $400 for 4 yrs coverage = $100 per year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought the 4 year one from Garvis Honda in Des Moines for $295. I did not buy the bike from them. Figured it would be a bargin if the tranny went south.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Mud, likewise with our dealer provides the extended 6 month @ no cost as long as you do the 1st maintence check with them.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buy it, it is cheap insurance. I used it to get the entire front end of a Foreman 450S freshend up, new tie rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearings all under warranty.It suprised me...had to piss and moan some before they would poney up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts