Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned over the 700 mile mark on my Rincon, so I thought it would be a good time to switch over to the Rotella "T" 5w-40 as many on here have suggested. I bought the oil at Wal-Mart ($12.88 per gallon), along with the long funnel (thanks for the tip guys) and a drain pan. I've read the posts on here about removing the plastic skid plate because of the mess from the oil drain hole, but the problem is, my snow plow mount pretty well eliminates removing the skid plate without first removing the plow mount, which is something I didn't really want to do. Well, needless to say, I ended up with a big dang oil mess! I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'll have to come up with something better before the next oil change rolls around.

I can see how removing the plastic skid plate would help with that mess, but have any of you come up with a way to not get oil all over the housing when removing the filter? I drained as much from the crank case as possible before removing the filter, but it still got all over the place. I even tried stuffing a rag underneath, but it didn't do much.

I'm kind of excited to see if I notice a difference in shifting/performance with the Rotella.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I remove my plow mount during the summer so it doesn't get dinged up and I don't wind up with problems when I want to put my plow back on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hondaman, too close to winter right now to be messing with the plow mount, but that's probably what I'll do next spring.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I find it convienent to change the oil in the spring when mount is removed and
again in late fall when installing the mount. Since most of us don't pleasure
ride that much in winter, the fall oil change will usually last until spring.
If it doesn't, the oil mess is unavoidable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts