Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

I live in WI so it does get cold here. I was thinking of installing a jet kit,pipe, air cleaner. however i'am not to sure on what one to get could some one please post a link on the ones to get?

p.s is the jet kit hard to install? also how do you guys adjusted the carb do you go my ear (meaning how it sounds)

also to if i install theses mods will i loose top end speed? right now i get a top end of about 63-64

thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
dyno jet kit works best,yes you will lose top end,but gain low and mid..

can't help on the pipe..

you follow the directions in the jet kit and then check you plug on the first ride to make sure it is running good,light tan color is best,but you can go by feel sometimes.the more you work on carbs the better and easier it gets.no its not hard to install,just go slow and be patient..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually, if the plug porcelain is light tan the plug is too cold and/or you're too rich. You should read by the base ring on the plug.. you can expect that your piston will look just like it.. should be colored all the way around the base, but not black and sooty.

I didn't lose any top end with the mods.. the only time I lose top end is when more weight in the form of ice and snow is added to my rinny.. LOL!

·
Registered
282 Posts
bvstone, My plug is black on the threads but on the center pole its a brown color. What should I look at when you say the base ring on the plug...is this the first thread of the plug?

If what you are saying is black in color what do I do to fix it? The main jet clip or the A/F screw?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just found this on the internet...what ya think??

READING SPARK PLUGS - Determining proper fuel mixture by inspecting the color and condition of the spark plugs can be very helpful in situations where the engine is being operated constantly at full rpm under full load. "Reading plugs" for perfect fuel mixture is very common where the engines are nearly always run at full rpm and full load.

To get an accurate plug reading on an engine, a fresh spark plug should be run in the machine for 3-5 minutes at full throttle/full rpm on a relatively clear track. At the end of the full throttle running, the throttle should be chopped and the kill button pushed simultaneously (called a "plug cut"). If the engine is run at partial throttle for even 3 seconds after the full throttle run, the plug reading will be invalid.

After the full throttle running, and the plug chop, a combination flashlight/magnifying glass must be used to view the carbon deposit at the base of the porcelain (down inside the spark plug where the porcelain insulator and outer steel spark plug casing meet. A ring of dark brown at the base of the porcelain denotes ideal fuel mixture, light brown is lean, and a ring of black is over rich. This is the only area of the spark plug that accurately indicates fuel mixture. Furthermore, this reading only indicates full throttle fuel mixture. No part of the spark plug can indicate low speed or mid range fuel mixture. The upper part of the spark plug porcelain (by the electrodes) is often very light or white in color, however this coloring is mostly affected by additives in the gasoline and oil. The coloring of the end of the porcelain in no way indicates appropriate fuel mixtures of any throttle range

·
Registered
59 Posts
The base ring is the flat part that the electrode is mounted to... where the threads end. If it's powdery black, you're too rich... if there is color but not all the way around, too lean.

As far as which settings, you'd need a fresh plug and do some proper plug chops for mid and wot to see which.

The info just posted is also correct, but it's too hard to read the bottom 1mm of the porcelain. At least in most cases.

For plug chops, I posted a list of replacement plugs (non-irridium, a lot cheaper) that could be purchased at a much lower price than the overrated irridium plugs honda "recommends".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts