Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new helmet. I think I would like a snell (?) rated one. I would also prefer a full face. Do any of you have a preference as to brand and style. I am also looking for a reasonable value as well. Are there any on line venders that you prefer? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My choice...Shoei

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Shoei's biggest problem is that the liner is NOT removable. This makes it hard to clean when it gets dirty (dusty, muddy, etc). A friend I ride with had one and hated it for that reason. He ended up getting a major skin rash because of it, so he tossed it and bought an HJC.

I use an HJC Sy-Max helmet. It's a lift-face design that can be worn as an open face or full face. Look at the site banner at the top of this or any page, and you can see it (since that's me in the photo). :)

Rob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe I missed something in the new Shoei's, but my liner is completely removeable (this is how you install the speakers for the motocom). It is a couple of years old. The best part is how light it is. Cheap helmets can be real heavy if you are not careful. Most high end lids are going to be worth the money in every respect.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I agree with Pablo, spend a little extra money and get a good helmet. It will fit better and outlast lesser helmets.

I use a Bell moto-7 helmet and love it. It is a full face motocross style helmet with a removable liner and has good ventilation. It is very light and looks great. I paid $300 locally last fall, but I have seen them online for $250 to $275 if you look hard enough.

A couple of things to look for in a helmet: Meets or exceeds DOT/Snell 2000 rating. Good ventilation system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Shoei helmet is nice, but a little overpriced compared to the HJC. I've owned both, and can find no quality differences between the two. Both are commonly available at bike shops.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$300 is not out of line for me. I agree that light weight is good. I will look for a removable liner as well. I like the idea of a movable front face piece. I think that a well vented helmet is a must too. Now, to decide on one of them...

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Brad's Shoei was a POS, yet he paid $200 for it. The liner was not removable.

My HJC lists for $240 but you can buy 'em online for as little as $180. It's a very lightweight helmet, especially compared to other lift-face models. I really like it. It isn't significantly heavier than my HJC CLX-4 motocross helmet that I sold a few months ago.

Check out http://www.helmetcity.com/ -- they're in Oakland (CA) I believe. I've bought from them before and seem to be pretty good.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been trying them on at local shops. I can't seem to get them to match internet pricing though, at least not yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess this sounds stupid but I really liked my Zues helmet. It is DOT approved and I have both the full face pullup that is really a street bike helmet and I have a MX style helmet which I paid 35 bucks for at the Windrock spring ride. It seems light, has good ventilation and is also DOT approved. Is this not a good helmet. I only have one mellon and want to protect it, and at the same time protect the environment from my mellon.... LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts