Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what type of oil you guys are using. I know that we are not supposed to use EC oil. Currently I am just using Honda oil.

·
Registered
338 Posts
switched over to rotella 5w40 synthetic,wally world has it on sale 12.88 gallon,non ec...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too will be switching over to rotella 5w40 synth.. also got it at wallyworld. Right now I'm running Castrol 10w40 waiting for the next oil change, or the first snow (that sticks) before worrying too much. It's still in the 50s during the day here.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Valvoline 10-40

·
Registered
54 Posts
EC means energy conserving. This means that it has a friction modifier in it. Not good for transmissions or clutches. Will cause them to slip. If you do any research on the internet as to what kind of oil to use, you will find that Amsoil tests out the best in almost every catagory. I am switching to 0w-40 4 stroke Amsoil on my next oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I'm still using up what's left of my stock of Castrol Act-Evo 10W40... but I just purchased a 16-gallon drum of the Polaris PS4 synthetic oil from my local Polaris dealer at cost, so I will be using that in everything from hereon out.

Anybody here who is local to Reno... there are three more of these 16-gallon drums available if anybody wants one. They cannot be shipped; they must be picked up (hence the part about being local to Reno). So if you want one, email me and I can put you in touch with the contact at the dealer. Cost is approximately $216 plus tax for the barrel. You will also want a $29 pump to go with it.

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
so i take it the Honda GN4 stuff doesnt make a damn bit of difference. The crap is about 3.50 a quart around here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the honda stuff is just castoral with different label! LOL no, honestly I dont think that it matters!! I used to use honda oil and the mechanic stopped me one day and pulled me to the side...told me to go to wally world and get standard oil...that it was the same stuff?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I will start to use Polaris 0W40 synthetic . They use this oil in there 5 sp's with wet clutches so it must not have any friction modifier's in it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, Honda GN4 is just relabeled Catrol or something. Same with Polaris, Yamalube, etc...

Amsoil is good stuff, but not worth the price. Of course their stuff wins all the tests. They run all the tests (through "independant" labs of course)! And they're MLM company, which I hate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I walk in my dealer for waranty work,they know that I have used GN4 and Honda filters exclusively which eliminates any questions. Yes you can save a few dollars by using other oil but I don't want to risk it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use MX4T. Its a full sun. oil from Mobil-1 for machines with wet clutches. The local oil company carries it.

PS...dont listen to DRincon...all he knows how to do is roll a Rincon down a very steep hill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DRRincon,

Sounds like your dealership has you by the b*lls if you believe they can refuse warrenty work because they may question the oil you use. Any shop that would even insinuate that should be shut down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts