Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post this yesterday, but maybe I didn't??? I was checking my wheels (for play) recently and found the front wheels to have between a 1/4 and half inch of play from top to bottom. What I was doing was placing my hands on the top of the tire and pushing and pulling in and out. It appeared to have slop in it, so I brought it to the local honda dealer and he said that there was not a problem. I wanted to get it done under warranty since my 6 months runs out the end of this month. Do your machines have such play in the front wheels. Now mind you, the bike was on a jack and the wheels were not touching the ground. Does this matter or am I being paranoid? Should I take it elsewhere? I know there are a bunch of experts on this forum that know about this stuff. I unfortunatly do not and would like to hear you.
Thanks in advance for the assist.
Craig

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just read your post and went out and checked mine. It may not help any because it is sitting on the ground and there is no play at all. I had a problem like you describe on my Raptor and decided it was the bearings. But after pulling it down discovered it was not the bearings at all. It was the upper control arm bushing. When moving the tire as you describe, it had a large amount of play. As a long shot, I gave it a shot of grease and that took the play out. Probably still needs a bushing but for now there is no play and I have not ridden it since. But, if I am not mistaken, there is no place to grease on the Rinny. While you have it up, check it again and watch the control arms for play.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the control arm this weekend, thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
BigMack- Any luck in finding the culprit?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet... Will check it out this weekend...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bigmack, went over my rinny to check play and found small amount in the left side from top to bottom. Ended up being the lower ball joint. The nut had loosened until It made contact with the cotter pin. Check yours might be the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked play again and found it to be about a 1/4" top to bottom. Both cotter pins on each side were checked as was the nut and the cotter pins were fine and the nuts were tight. The dealer says that that play is "NORMAL" I really don't know...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed a slight amount of play from side to side from tie rods. You start to feel this play If you move your hands just slightly away from the top and bottom of brake drum. Maybe thats what your feeling. Keep in mind that my bike Is one month old with 175 miles on It. Perhaps with brake- In there Is some play. I cant really see how though...The only other thing would be the control arm bushing or the hub nut or wheel bearing..good luck...I'm also gonna call my local dealer, see what they say about this issue...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hoss:
Let me know what you find out... I would be real interested...
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have noticed the same play from side to side on my Rincon, after some months.
Then I have made the test with not less than 8 new rincon and the result it is always the same…..the little play exists also on the Rincon what they have never worked
this means that they are born in this way, but I don't understand why

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bigmack, I spoke with two different dealers in my area and one said a quarter inch Is acceptable and the other said there shoudn't be really any play...go figure... What I did find was the most likely cause of this If your ball joints are tight Is the axle nut may be loose. I hope this helps...hoss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts