Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what carb set up you guys are running with exhust modifications.
I am at appox. 200 feet elev. My set-up is a Dyno-Jet 148 main with the clip on the 4th notch. K&n filter and power-tech 4 exhust. It still seems to be on the lean side to me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tx4wler- I am at around 700' and I recently installed a Supertrapp exhaust. I also have the K&N/outerwear and DJ kit. Before the exhaust, I was running the 144 and the needle on the 2nd notch. After running it an hour or so with the exhaust, the plug looked lean so I went with the 148 and left the needle on the 2nd notch. Just idling and playing with it in the garage, it spits a little black smoke but after actually riding for an hour or so, it still looks a little lean. I will probably end up with the 150 or the stock 152 later and see how it goes. I really haven't ridden it enough to tell what is going on and how much, if any, the exhaust helped. I am going to Little Sahara, Utah next week and it is around 3000' there so I may have to back up to the 144 or smaller. Before the exhaust, I had tried a 160 at 3000' and it was way to much until I took the air cleaner lid off. It at least ran good enough that weekend until I could get back home. I recently read a post of someone running a 158 so there may be some room to go on up with the size. It's just a pain to change it. Plus, I live with Murphy's Law and just know I will drop something in the dirt trying to change it in the sand. Did you experiment with the different needle setting? Seems like the fourth would be pretty rich at low speeds.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Duramax, just so you know, the stock 152 is NOT larger than the DynoJet 150. It is actually SMALLER than the DynoJet 144. Because the stock jet is on a different scale. You should be good with the DJ150, duramax. tx4wler, you should be using a DJ150 main jet if the 148 seems to run lean. I would also play with the needle, trying 3rd and 4th positions to see which one pulls stronger in the mid range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to switch to the 150 jet last night but one of the "POS" screws in the carborator striped, so now I have figue out how to get it out. I wish honda would put a better quality screw in this location.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The way I've got stripped screws out of carbs before is to use a small pair of needle nose vise grips turning in combo with the phillips screwdriver. The screws are junk in all of them. That's the carb manufacturer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yellow650Rincon! That seems to be in direct contradiction with the measurements of the different jets that Comtman took in his post titled ( Rincon-General-DynoJet above 6000ft ).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't know what to tell you then. Why would a DJ150 jet be WAY too rich in a stock Rincon, whereas a stock 152 would be perfect when they are supposedly the same size? And why does the DJ150 yield perfect A/F mixtures even with aftermarket exhaust? Whereas the stock 152 (still supposedly the same size mind you) is perfect A/F mixture for a STOCK Rincon?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't Know!! I didn't mean to be argumentive but The stock # 152 in "my rincon" runs noticeably richer than the dynojet #144 or #146. That's in "my rincon". That and the fact that countman took the time and effort to measure them and that "my rincon" runs best with that combo makes a beliver out of me. I realize that this may not work for you or someone else but for me it does.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there are two ways jets are sized depending on the manufacturer. One is the sizing you are speaking of and the otheer is by "flow rate". Not sure if either of these use the same procedure or not. I'm not sure if DJ would be willing to tell you anything.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I talked to DJ, all they kept telling me was that you can NOT go by plug color to determine if your carb is running lean or rich. They claim and I quote"(Todays fuel burns sooo clean that the plug will have little or no color )" , or something to that effect. At that point I lost confidence in what ever else they were telling me. They must be getting their gas somewhere other than where I am.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If a spark plug is staying clean new looking would you guys say you are at just the breaking point of being to lean, are is this the point where you are in danger of burning a piston or something like that?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it's white and, or, it has little specks (detonation marks) on the white porceline than it is running lean and only bad things can happen. It should have a least a little gray to tan color. If you started with a new plug,(after your mods) give it a little time to burn in or color. Also it may look white to you when in fact it isn't. If you have a new plug (never used), hold the one you have been running, up to the new one and compare the whiteness. Always err on the rich side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did put a brand new plug in this week when I re-jetted. So I guess I will ride it a little more and keep checking it. I think I will bump up to a 152 jet and see how it runs (if I can get the #%*&()*$^%# striped screw out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tx4wler- If you are still having trouble getting the screw out, you might give this a try if you haven't already. Probably will need some hekp unless you have the carb off and put it in a vise. Sometimes you can use a small screw driver and place the blade near the edge of the screw head and tap it with a hammer in the direction you want it to turn. I may give you the leverage to break it loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts