Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one Rincon down because I tore the sidewall on my right rear tire. The right front tire looks ready to pop because of a nice tear in it's sidewall. I was pretty happy with the stock tires, but they need to be a bunch tougher because of rocks and tree roots sticking out in alot of the trails I ride.
I have ridden with several polaris riders with their new Goodyear tires and my tires seem to have more traction in both snow and mud. They just don't hold up in the sharp rocks. I like the ride of radials, but would not rule out some bias ply tires if they are highly recommended. What tires should I buy. The local WalMart has Carlisle 489's for a pretty good price. Would those be a good choice? I am also considering Kenda bear claws, Itp Holeshot ATR's, or ?????????

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jay,
I do about the same type of riding that you do (trail,rocks,some mud) and I am very happy with my ITP 589's they are 6-ply tires and the performance of them are amazing and believe it or not they ride just as good as the stock tires on the rode above 10 MPH. When I go up to the mountains riding which consist of alot of rock climbing I always run between 1 and 2 lbs of air in the tires for max. traction and have never had a problem with the side walls. I think the 589's are going to be hard to beat in my opinion.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Jay, Bearclaws or Holeshot ATRs would both be a good choice depending on your style of riding. The Bearclaws are cheap, and TOUGH. Everyone I have talked to said Bearclaws seem to last a long time. They aren't radials and won't give you a nice smooth ride like ATRs though. They probably also aren't as sporty as the ATRs. The ATRs are radials and have good sidewalls for good handling. The handling over stock is supposed to be amazing. They also hook-up off the line like crazy. Much less spin than the stock tires. They are more expensive than the Bearclaws though. So, it's up to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I second the vote for the 589's. I had them on my Rubicon and put 1800 or so rough miles on them without a problem, plus they still had a bunch of tread left on them when I sold the machine. My Rincon came with a set of 26" 589's, which I was extremely happy about. As 04RinconMan said, the great thing about the 589's is they dig like crazy in the mud and snow, but actually ride good on hard pack. They're 6 ply, so they're tough as heck, plus they won't break the bank.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, early this morning I ordered a set of 26 inch Kenda Bearclaws. I hope I like them. They were MUCH cheaper than the holeshots, and even a little cheaper than the 589's. I liked the original tires ok but they sure didn't hold up at all in the rocks, and their sidewall would just seem to roll over in the corners. I hope I like these bearclaws. I ride every kind of terrain except the MUDDIN thing. Pretty sure I wouldn't even care to try that, unless it was on a rented quad.

here's a pic of my one of my sons and a friend looking for chucks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am curious to see how you like the Bearclaws... it was a toss up between those and the Dirt Devil XT's for me... I went with the DD's for a couple of reasons... 1.) i do ride a bit in the mud... nothing more than about axle deep 2.) DD XT's have deeper lugs, from what i can tell 3.) most importantly, my dealer gave me the DD's in 27" for the same price as the 26" - the Bearclaws would have run me about $30 more for the same setup...

When i wear the stockers out, i am going to be looking for a backup set for the original rims... might put Bearclaws on, if i hear good things about them... one thing telecom has taught me, you can never have too much redundancy...

Almost forgot, if you are curious, there are pics of the DD's in my profile...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The problem you had with the stock tires is that you can't run radial tires as soft as you can bias. You should probably run between 7-8 lbs in the radials. The sidewalls flex a lot more on the radials and if you run them too soft they pinch easily in between rocks and the wheel. I bet most of your holes are in the sidewall and not the tread area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 26" ITP Mudlites on my rinny and it goes just about anywhere I want to go. They are 6 ply and very tough. The ride is a little rough at very low speeds on hard pack but anything over 10 mph and they ride great on any type of ground.

I have only gotten it stuck once and that was in a water filled ditch that I tried to cross and didn't know someone else already had been stuck there and caused me to bottom out on the skid plate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about the Carlisle 589,s?????? anyone have any experience with those????

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anybody tried the combination of 25in ITP Mudlites on stock aluminum
rims? If so what is ride,speed and handling like compared to stock, fast and slow speed?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just got done riding on my new Kenda bearclaws. We rode about 55 miles of trails, logging roads, a few miles on pavement, and one large mudhole. I am very pleased with these new tires. They are much different than stock in that they are stiffer and seem to make the ride a little stiffer. They also grip much better. In this picture, I went up the bank of the logging road that we had been riding on. There was a trail coming down to the logging road that was kelly humped right there where I am. I turned around in the bottom of the kelly hump and was about to head back down onto the logging road. Very steep terrain and yet not much spinning in 4 wheel drive. These tires worked really well while blasting at high speed down very old grown-over log trails. The sidewalls do not roll under in turns which makes it seem more stable. They did well in mud although the Rincon's power leaves much to be desired. Could not generate enough wheel speed to come out the other end of the mudhole. Mike's 500 HO did it on the second try.

·
Registered
241 Posts
TrailBoss, I have the 25" mudlights 12" front and rear and love them. The stiff side walls allow the machine to slide around corners easier. I choose the 25's instead of the 26ers because of the tread depth. I'm not a serious mudder. I mostly ride hard packed trails or sandy trails. They perform extremely well in the mud though. If you match the stock size in the front the rim will be too vulnerable. This is why I went with the 12" front. I have the C-series rims wich add a little offset and make the machine even more stable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My bad, I meant to say 10" F & R as compared to the stock 25x8x12.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a set of 25" mud lites on stock rims. I dont have many miles on them. I use them mostly in the snow. They performed excellent in snow. They give the Rincon a nice solid ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts