Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see who loves the 3-speed tranny as much as I do. First, the fact that it has no low range definitely hinders it in the mudding and towing departments. But for every other application, I love the fact that it is only a 3-speed. Contrary to what a lot people seem to want (5 speeds instead of 3), I would rather Honda keep the same 3-speed setup and simply make a low range option on the gear selector. All it would take is a few extra shafts and gears in the existing sub-transmission, and it would make the Rincon that much more versatile. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let me state the reasons why I love the Rincon tranny.

I love the fact that there is less shifting required compared to a 5-speed. I've gotten so used to putting around from 3-20 mph in first gear that I find it very cumbersome to be continually shifting between the 3 lower gears on a conventional 5-speed. I have to tell you that I had a really hard time going slow on the Rincon when I first bought it. Now that I have almost 4000 miles and 450 hours on my Rincon, I have absolutely mastered the art of going slow. For those who have a hard time slowly creeping around in first gear, give it some time. This is not like driving a conventional 5-speed and it takes some getting used to. Once mastered though, the Rincon tranny allows you to go from walking speed to moderate speeds with just your right thumb, no shifting required. When riding fast on trails and dirt roads, it is great not having to cycle through 5 gears to ride at high speeds. The 3-speed shines in this type of riding.

I love the fact that I can ride in rough terrain, up steep hills and tow moderate loads without having to switch to low range. I know this sounds odd, because I previously stated how a low range would enhance an already potent machine. But honestly, the only time a low range is required on a Rincon is for turning huge mud tires and pulling very heavy loads. With a belt drive ATV, simply riding at a slow pace in a rough trail requires you to stop and switch to low range. Ditto for climbing steep hills. Failure to do so results in very short belt life and the possibility of belt breakage down the road. Regarding towing, I pulled a whole bull moose in very rough, muddy terrain a week ago and it did a great job. Like going slow, towing loads with the Rincon seems to require careful throttle control. It's almost like giving less throttle makes it easier; this obviously has to do with the torque converter.

I love the fact that there is no rubber drive belt. Belt drive ATV's require constant maintenance and adjustment to perform at their peak. Belts also fail fairly quickly when pushed hard for extended periods of time. They are also scared of water. The Rincon tranny does not require any maintenance whatsoever except regular oil changes. This is very important to me as I work on ATV's for a living and want to ride in my free time instead of turning wrenches. It's nice to know that running wide open for 10 minutes or pulling out a whole moose will not cause any damage to the tranny. I have also ridden in rack deep water quite a few times and I like not having to worry about belt slippage.

Well, that about covers my thoughts on the Rincon tranny. It is not perfect by any means, but it does a great job of getting the Rincon moving. Once mastered, this tranny is hard to beat for most types of riding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Rincons tranny is awesome. Everything you stated is true. I really like the fact that it will shift in reverse also with the reverse limiter overriden. That's awesome!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well said; I agree!!!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
99.9% satisfied with the tranny,thats a good report for future Rincon buyers to look at. Good job

·
Registered
800 Posts
i will take a car like tranny over a beltdrive tranny every single time

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the fact that you can put it in Auto and not have to worry or mess with shifting. 99% of my riding is done in Auto Mode.As for not having a low gear I just give it more gas and let the torque converter do the rest.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have to agree with everything that has been said, I sold my Foreman S to get an 05 Rincon, and I could not be more impressed. I have less than 100 miles on it, but I think this thing is the best thing since Deer hunting was invented. CHAD

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I pretty much hate the Rincon transmission. No, I'm not bashing the machine, I'm just stating an opinion.

I agree with ATVTech that they should add a "Low" to the tranny selector so you can have a good creep gear. That would shut me up almost completely. But what I also don't like is how the auto shifting doesnt' work well if the idle falls out of adjustment, which it does often on my Rincon.

Add to that the various transmission issues (O Rings) which most dealers out here are oblivious to. Yes, my machine is still slow and who knows why. All three semi-local dealers have been unable and unwilling to help, so I've given up.

I really wish Honda would have just used the tranny from the Rubicon.. it would have been SO much better.

As for belts, I would have agreed with you guys up until last year when I bought a snowmobile. I now know a LOT more about CVT trannies and clutching than I did before, and all I can say is that ATVs with a belt drive are FAR more versatile. If you take the time to perfect the clutching based on your mods, you'll be amazed at how well the machine can perform.

Me, I just want a machine simple enough that I can do 99% of the work on it and I'll be happy. No computer crap, no funky automotive-type transmissions, etc.

Rob

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
For my style of riding -- the tranny has worked great

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Rincon's tranny is the reason why I bought the Rincon and traded in my V-Twin Prarie for it!
I have never looked back and I am very happy with my 04 Rincon. It's nice to not have to switch between low/high all the time ( I laugh to myself when I see my friends deal with this) and I can forget about checking the damm belt's deflection / wear etc. The Rincon's trans is AWESOME!

·
Registered
54 Posts
the tranny is awesome especially with the reverse -overdrive thats the next project.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it had one more lower gear it would be perfect. Even if it was just slightly lower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The tranny has always worked perfectly for eveything I do, from mud to rocks to high speed desert. The only complaint I have is the holding power going down hill. I'm strong enough to hold the brakes and control the machine for long downhill runs, but some other riders have complained how strenuous it can be to control the machine downhill for a long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been riding snowmobiles for years and I feel that the clutch is the worst part of a sled. I wish they could come up with something new. You loose 50% of your engines power at the clutch. Wait until you get a little water on your belt and pray that you have friend with you to tow you home. This is the weakest part of sledding. Not to mention you should see what a blow belt can do under full acceleration. It is quite a destructive force.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts