Honda Rincon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if the 25x10x12 Rear tire would fit the 25x8x12 front rims. I think the Service Manual said the front rims were 6-1/2" wide and the rear were 7-1/2" wide. Highlifter said I could do it and would sell me the tires, but I took that with a grain of salt until I talked with someone who has done it already. Can this be done without having to purchase different rims? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Heya Rinny, I haven't done it myself but I think all that matters is the rim diameter.Your rear tires will fit but they will stick out off the rim a little more than your stock ones did.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running the Maxxis Radial 6-ply Bighorns. They are awesome tires, but their downfall is they have no Bead protectors to keep the rim from banging up. Maybe if the sidewalls stick out a little bit it might protect the rims a little better. I know with a wider tire up front it will be slightly harder to steer, but the extra traction should make up for it. I had a feeling it would work, but I guess my biggest concern was that the bead would contact the rim at a slightly different angle and might not seal as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rinny4Life,

There are a lot of people on here who have bought the Mud Lite 26x10x12's front and 26x12x12's rear. They all seem to have no issues with loosing their seal on the front or back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roc,

Did they keep the original rims? I was going to try and purchase two rear rims and put on the front to be correct with the tire, but the bloody dealership wants almost $200 per rim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Rinny, if you are looking for new tires or rims try Outdoorsmanatv.com(931-372-7210). They will beat any price on EBAY. Customer service is excellent with superfast shipping. I have ordered both my sets from them. I simply give them the best price I have found and where I found it. They have always quoted a lower price and I have recieved my tires in two days.

·
Registered
800 Posts
the 25x10x12 will fit the stock front rims i have 26x10x12 mudlites all the way around, the tires will stick out a little more on the front rims but its like having rim guards on the front of you ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good to hear. I think I might go ahead and get two more rear tires and put on the front rims. With the Detroit Gearless Locker installed and a little wider tire up front the machine should pull like a mule. I saw Highlifters Mudguards (which look pretty tacky) and decided that I would rather eat a little more mud (from the wider tires) than put them on my bike. Most of the ridinging I do is hardpack and rocky on the slopes, but I do tend to dive off into every mudhole I can find so the tires might help a little more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice Pic there Rinny, where was that taken at?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I posted a long time ago about my experience with 10" Big Horn Radials all the way around on stock rims. I did not like it. It may have been the wide tire on narrow rims or the fact that the rears have a square profile and seemed to grab and tart around too much. Went back to 8" up front and everything was fine.

Aftermarket 7" rims may do the trick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RedRincon05: I took this picture on Magazine Mountain in Arkansas. Beautiful place with lots of water crossings and swim holes. This is just another pict on the same trail.

parkgt: Thanks for the input. I will just see how things work out with the Detroit Gearless Locker first after I install it in 2 weeks and see if it is enough. Maybe I won't have to put wider tires up front. I was afraid it might track harder but did not know for sure. I am sure it would grunt through the mud better, but sometimes you need the front end to go where you want it to when navigating tight spots instead of just sliding straight on a tight turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Rinny, I thought I recognized that shot. I believe it is shoal creek. Great area to ride! I grew up there and have riden all over that area. I plan on going back in the spring. My wife is from Kentucky and my job moved me here. I miss the riding in that area even though there is alot of good riding here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedRincon05: I heard about something in Kentucky called "Turkey Creek or Bay" or something like that. I really wanted to go there, but Kentucky law says only one rider per ATV and I only have one bike. My wife loves to go with me so we would not be allowed to ride there without purchasing another bike. I just recently found another riding area that is a Local secret around here. We tried it out a few weeks ago and it was even nicer that Mag Mt. You could ride for days and never cross the same trail and the scenery was unbelievable. We are going back there just after Christmas for a week. We live near Lake Ouichita where I took this picture.

P.S. Maxxis Rep just E-mailed me and said that the rear tire will fit on the stock front rims, but I would loose a little clearance in the front. I think I will stick with the original size for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts