Honda Rincon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here been to Windrock?Me and around 10 guys are going April 8-11 could you give me some info on the types of trails and if there are any areas to avoid?also has anyone stayed at the Windrock Campground?Any info on this area would be appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great place to ride. I would go to the Windrock ATV forum and get directions on ordering the map they supply. You mail them 10 bucks and they mail you two nice waterproof maps (up to date of course). Many changes take place because of the rain on the mountain, the expansion of the active coal mine and expansion of the windmill farm.
The campsites are great. I have camped on the ground and with a 32 foot rv, no problems, but the earlier you can arrive (hopefully on friday) the better spot you will get. The snack shack is open and the food is cheap and good. Groceries are just a few miles away in town.
Now trail difficulty is a debated subject. The map will show you ratings of easy, moderate and difficult. Easy is supposed to mean gravel or hardpack with no challanges. Moderate is supposed to mean hillclimbs, off camber etc. Difficult is supposed to mean 4x4,s whinches and extremely difficult hillclimbs or obstacles.
I would say some of the moderate trails are very difficult. I have personnaly wrecked my rincon at the top of trail 21 in a rocky section in the rain. I have been told they repaired that spot as several people have been hurt there.
Difficult at windrock means expert rider.
Over the weekend of oct 29-31st I witnessed a broken tibia and fibula, a multiple compound fracture of the leg and a guy who seperated his spine and is paralized from the chest down. I know a group or riders, who have been there before, who rolled 4 out of 6 bikes. It had rained for 2 days, but maily you have to ride sensibly. Not too fast and remember if its your first time on a trail to learn alittle before going wide open.
Moderate to me means be careful, there are some rocky sections that can cause problems.
Be alert, some of the water holes on the gravel trails are 6 feet deep, go around.
Its a great place to ride, windmills, waterfalls, lake, graveyeards etc, just take it easy and be careful please.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
You have a p.m. Honda4fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts